Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Composting...

I'm one of those people that once something enters my mind... I can't stop thinking about it until it's done. I'm like that with camera stuff, cars, dogs, etc. Recently, the idea of composting came to mind. I want to create an organic vegetable garden, and what better way then by using our own waste to create fertile soil!

Of course, if you know me well... if I'm going to do something, I'm going to go all out with it. So I decided to go ahead and make my own compost tumbler instead of spending $300 on one of those fancy ones. I found this DIY tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfi-bSs6EQ0. I've already secured three... yes THREE... 55 gallon barrels to store the compost. We've got lots of leftover treated decking board to use for the frame. So now all I need is the galvanized pipe, pvc stuff, etc to get started.



And I couldn't stop just there. I was thinking it would be fun to create 3 different kinds of compost tumblers/bins and see which one works the best :) My 2nd attempt will be this one http://www.instructables.com/id/Compost-Tumbler. I'm not sure what I'll do with the 3rd one just yet haha!



The LSU AgCenter has a lot of great materials available on their website for composting. I highly recommend reading a few articles before taking the plunge!

Well, stay tuned for pictures and video footage of my DIY compost tumblers!

No comments:

Post a Comment