Wednesday, January 13, 2010

cake baking disaster....

I realized last night that I have never baked a cake before. I mean, sure, I've probably mixed the batter and put it in the oven... only for my mom to do everything else with it (take it out of the pan, icing, etc).

Last night I helped a friend (who has just as much experience as I do) bake a cake for a co-worker. We decided to try and make a marshmallow fondant, and buttercream from scratch. We succeeded at the MMF and buttercream... but failed miserably at what should be the easiest thing... baking the cake.

Now before you even ask.... Yes, we greased the pans, AND floured them! But, I think our problem was that we let them sit too long and cool off before removing them from the pans.

The images speak for themselves...

Our work area


The buttercream icing


The Marshmallow Fondant (MMF)


The disaster


We thought covering it with icing would help...


So tonight we are going to attempt to cover the cake with the fondant and decorate it. The fondant is supposed to go on a smooth surface... This should be interesting!!!

1 comment: